Eugene Ray SDSU 1970's

Eugene Ray SDSU 1970's
Eugene Ray 1970's. photo credit: Tom Davis

Sunday, January 10, 2016

GRAPHICS ARE IMPORTANT / photography, drawings, xerography

+EXCITING NEWS !+
>(templar-pirate link)<
+(GRUY- LAFITTE)+
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>for my >new orleans degruy friends< found<
>on the "history channel" television program<
>linking the knights templars with the pirates<
+(GOOGLE : EUGENE RAY+
+>>>> / JEAN LAFITTE)+
>of the west indies because this is exactly the<
>case of a linkage of j.b. degruy & jean lafitte<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+JEAN BAPTISTE de GRUY+
>(the >carts that lafitte's<
>goods were hauled in(<
+BUILT LAFITTE'S CARTS+
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>tonight's focus is on my >development of a<
>"metaphysical art" form relating to our dna<
+(GOOGLE : EUGENE RAY+
+ / METAPHYSICAL ART)+
>roots in >new orleans and the orient forest<
>which eventually became very fascinating<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
+XEROGRAPHY /+
+(INVENTED 40s)+
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>was matured in my >professional time and<
>i was able to adopt it to my uses as design<
+(GOOGLE : EUGENE RAY+
+ / COLOR XEROGRAPHY)+
>media in many ways / >then i adopted this<
>improved xerox technology to dna memory<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
 >color photography< of my work in louisiana<
>was important as color in architecture had my<
+(IN 1955 I BOUGHT A+
+3-F LEICA CAMERA)+
>interest from the beginning but accelerated in<
>1966 w/ my three vieux carre radiant projects<
+(JOHN MESSINA >LSU+
+ALUM, NIKON in 1965)+
>(my student >john messina took these photos<
>of my >nola vieux carre apartment< in 1967)<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >john became a professional photographer<
>working for time magazine etc (as well as<
+(AMERICAN HOME KINDLY+
+PUBLISHED MY DRAWING)+
>an architect) and arragned a publication of<
>my apartment in american home magazine<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >this apartment was so small that a dining<
+(GOD IN THE DETAIL)+
>table hinged down from a slanted cabinet<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >john messina worked hard to photograph<
>the >trailor brothers apartment with many<
+(JOHN & WIFE TANIA+
+WERE GOOD TO ME)+
>close up details / he also took this portrait<
>of me on the night of the project opening<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >john photographed >marian and i in our<
>1967-1969 nola apartment< when i was<
+(5000 PITT ST. NOLA+
+WHILE @ TULANE)+
>teaching at tulane while earning my mfa<
>(i collaged some of my nola work on it)<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >the castoff elements of new orleans living<
+(NEW ORLEANS LOVE)+
>were precious to my creole patronage eye<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >after arriving in california to teach at sdsu<
>perhaps missing my new orleans roots, the<
+(EARLY B&W>MAIL ART+
+BASED ON N.O. PHOTOS)+
>new orleans photographs i took 1967-1969<
>became subject for my early mail art plates<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >naturally the >major focus of my xerox<
>photo-copy effort was devoted >mostly<
+(COLOR XEROX WAS+
+PERFECTED IN 1980s)+
>to my architectural oeuvre which i was<
>perfecting for my sdsu env. media class<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >in this case the >b&w xerox on color paper<
>documents an interesting encounter i had on<
>the rome-paris over night express train w/ the<
+(NAPOLI EXPRESS / >ROME+
+PARIS OVERNIGHT TRAIN)+
>violinist friend of the brother of the pretender<
>to the french throne, famed michele morgand<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >(the greek acropolis in athens w/ my<
+(A CHILD IS BORN)+
>radiant architecture< photo collaged)<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>our summer >photo expeditions to europe<
>provided me w/>much material for photo<
+(GOOGLE : EUGENE RAY+
+>>>/ PHOTO COLLAGE)+
>collage based on >important architectural<
>monuments /  >italian villa poiana below<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >my early architectural graphic work<
+(FLASH OF LIGHT)+
>in california  >utilized color collage<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >in about 1972 i was invited to mount an<
>exhibition of my early work in california<
+(GOOGLE :>> EUGENE RAY+
+MIRA COSTA EXHIBITION)+
>at mira costa college, north of san diego<
>i exhibited my work & my student work<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+JUST RECEIVED AN EMAIL+
>(good friend, prof.)<
+FROM ALUM DAVE FOBES+
>(thanks dave >how many<
>shall tell a complex story)<
+SUGGESTING I >EXHIBIT A+
>(i did exhibit several 70s<
>am in history of mail art)<
+METAPHYSICAL GRAPHIC+
>a comprehensive<
+BOOK IS REALLY NEEDED+
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>perhaps some day a tom davis
>style scholar shall document<
+(MY METAPHYSIC ART)+
>tom's girl friend wants me to<
>telephone her today, shall do<
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+JUST PUT TOM'S PHOTO+
>(sdsu alum facebook pg)<
+ON >PASSIFLORA PAGE+
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
eugene ray, mfa, architect
professor emeritus, sdsu




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in the work of Eugene Ray. Please subscribe to the blog to follow via e-mail